Thursday, January 8, 2015

2014 In Knitting

I think I'm going to start doing a yearly review of my crafting accomplishments.  Because I've taken up so many different crafts, I'll probably split it up into pieces.  This year we're likely going to do knitting, crochet, and spinning.

So today we're going to talk about what I accomplished in knitting.  (At least according to Ravelry.  Anything not on Ravelry doesn't count because I don't remember any of it.)

I knitted seven projects in 2014.  These were projects for me and for other people.  Big ones and little ones.  Fingering weight and worsted weight.  Garter stitch and lace.  It's a wide range and really makes me proud.

Colorwork Teddy


I started this one in August 2013 and finished it in February 2014.  I'm so happy I actually got it to work, because I had tried doing alternating stripes of brown and rainbow and it just wasn't... working. This is just white worsted yarn and rainbow thread held together.  It was a birthday gift for my boyfriend's younger brother, following my tradition of giving people a teddy bear for their fifteenth birthday.  He actually turned sixteen though, so I was a bit late.  I expected him to just hide it away somewhere, but as soon as I handed it to him he figured out how to balance it on his lamp.  I don't know if it's still there, but the fact that it was put up at all made me very pleased.

Irish Roots Socks


This was one of my projects for the 2014 Ravellenic Games, so February.  I used a toe-up recipe and added two small cables to the top of each foot.  The light green I hand-dyed as a tonal (which was fun but a challenge) and the darker green was a hand-dyed yarn I picked up on a trip to New Braunfels, which was great fun.  (I had used the rest for a shawl in 2013).

Golden Roses For Christmas


At Christmas 2013 my boyfriend's family gave me a gift card to the local yarn store.  It wasn't until May that I went to use it, because the store was closing!  I picked up this lovely laceweight yarn in a cashmere/silk blend (with a bit of merino wool).  It was the only skein left so I was sort of stuck with the pink color.  I added a container of gold beads and this is what came out.  It took me just over two weeks, mostly because I was recovering from wisdom tooth removal and all I was doing was watching Netflix and knitting lace (I didn't take anything stronger than ibuprofen, so I made no more errors than normal).

A Gentle Jab


There's actually a blog post associated with this one somewhere.  I made this in an evening in June to add to my boyfriend's graduation present, which was a small set of good-quality kitchen tools (my mother sells the stuff).  Apparently over the course of the semester he used everything we gave him except this -- because his roommate washes the dishes!

Wibbley Wobbly Timey Wimey



My younger brother and I put together a Doctor Who theme present for a good friend of mine, and my knitted contribution was this shawl.  I started it in June and finished in July, which is pretty impressive considering I had never picked up stitches before.  I altered the pattern just a bit by changing the bobbles to beads, because they made more sense to me.  She adored it and put it on immediately when I gave it to her.  She didn't take it off the rest of the day.

Desert Sunrise Hat


This yarn was part of Ravellenics 2014, but it wasn't enough to make a shawl like I'd attempted.  So in July I frogged it and made this hat!  I finished it in August and didn't get to wear it for a few months after that.  Annoyingly, the bright pink I used is not lightfast, so it doesn't look quite like this anymore.  Ah well.

Ugly Christmas Hat


My aunt asked me to make this for her boyfriend for Christmas.  It's a fandom hat, if you weren't aware.  I finished it in December, and was a little too excited about the pompom on top.  He loves it, and I know this because he wears it everywhere.  Additionally, it actually fits him!

There weren't a whole lot of knitting projects, I guess.  I find this a bit weird because of how much time I actually spend knitting.  Maybe the bigger crochet projects took up more time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments: I love hearing from you!